International Women's Day | March 8
International Women’s Day is all about celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. This important day has been recognized annually on March 8th since the first gathering in 1911. On this day, we reflect on how far we’ve come in creating gender equality and focus on the ways we can actively raise awareness and work towards a more inclusive future.
The International Women’s Day mandate encourages us to:
- Celebrate women’s achievements
- Raise awareness about women’s equality
- Lobby for accelerated gender parity
- Fundraise for female-focused charities
This year’s campaign theme is #BreakTheBias, which highlights the ways that we may unconsciously or at times deliberately make it difficult for women to progress in society. Simply knowing that these biases exist is not nearly enough – we must be more conscious towards eliminating them.
While this movement is not restricted to any one group, organization or country, no corporate or government entity is solely responsible for the effectiveness of this important event. It is up to all of us to take part in actively creating awareness in driving the world to a more accepting, even-level playing field for everyone, regardless of their gender or identity.
Here are three ways you can #BreakTheBias:
- Take some time to reflect on your own personal biases and reach out to family and friends to encourage the conversation about gender equality.
- Join the movement by showing your support in any way you can. For example, taking photos of yourself with your arms crossed to represent the symbol of the #BreakTheBias theme. Or making use of the official colours of IWD, purple, green and white, by incorporating them into your social media posts. Some great examples include photos of yourself wearing those colours or creating graphics that include those colours.
- Be vocal! Share your personal story of overcoming the barriers or acknowledging your own personal bias. The unconscious barrier is hardest to see and break, but regularly reflecting can make a huge difference in helping people become more aware.
Talize is passionate about creating inclusive spaces and ensuring a comfortable shopping experience for all – providing gender equality today for a more sustainable tomorrow!