Position: Director Finance
Type of Employment: Full Time, Permanent
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer
Talize Inc. is a proudly Canadian owned and operated national for-profit retailer offering quality resale apparel and housewares at unbeatable prices. As Canada’s newest and most unique shopping experience we offer new, like-new, and vintage items all under one roof. That means fantastic deals on brand names and designer fashions, and housewares!
Who we are looking for:
We are currently hiring for the position of Director, Finance to join our small and very efficient Finance team, operating out of our HQ in North York, ON.
As the Director of Finance, you will play a key strategic role and will be a true business partner helping the organization to achieve market leadership. More specifically, you will help shape business strategies that align with growth and profitability drivers in partnership with the senior management team, driving accountability across the organization through rigor, financial discipline and transparency. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will work in collaboration and build relationships across all departments. While creating processes, budgets and analytical tools to empower senior management to make data-driven decision, you will play a significant role in taking Talize to the next phases of its journey
The role requires an individual ready to take on more ownership and progress to the next level in their career. The opportunity will allow the successful individual to be involved in all financial aspects of a rapidly growing multi-dimensional retail business.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the financial budgeting and forecasting process of the Company (P&L, B/S, CF); coordinating with all departments and functional areas including retail operations, marketing, human resources, supply chain and information technology.
- Supports the CFO in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic plans, annual operating plans and costs management in alignment with the organization’s strategic objectives
- Preparation, review and analysis of the monthly financial statements to ensure accuracy and completeness. Monitors and evaluates budget performance against approved budgets and identifies variances and challenges; communicates variances to budget owners to resolve issue.
- Provides financial expertise, analysis, and recommendations to other functional areas of the Company.
- Analysis and interpretation of trends requiring Management’s attention.
- Presentation of findings and specific recommendations to senior management on specific projects.
- Drives improvements in process, costs and efficiencies.
- Oversees all corporate accounting processes and ensures reports comply with regulatory and accounting standards and practices. Maintains complete, accurate and timely records of accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger and banking transactions and manages periodic reconciliations
- Coordinates working schedules to support annual external audits
- Implements control systems and procedures to identify, reduce and eliminate risks that may hamper the continuity of operations and designs plan of actions to mitigate impact of consequence in the event of their occurrence e.g. fraud risks and pandemic
- Assist in the preparation and filing of tax returns for all legal entities
- Build strategic business partner relationship with other areas of the organization.
- Set appropriate context and establish prescribed limits for direct reports, including setting an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with direct reports to solicit their views on the working environment, potential changes affecting their work and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Build, develop, motivate and sustain a team of direct reports who are capable of delivering the work required.
- Promote and optimize team integration by articulating the linkages between the accountabilities and authorities of different roles and by establishing the context in which they will work collaboratively with one another.
- Apply Talize’s performance management system to direct reports, including establishing goals and objectives, assessing skills and knowledge gaps, allocating resources to achieve objectives and close gaps, assessing personal effectiveness and reviewing base and variable pay.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Professional Accounting designation (CPA) with an University degree in Accounting or Finance (MBA an asset)
- Minimum 8 years financial planning and accounting experience (5 years at a managerial level) in a multi site organization with strong preference for retail experience
- Financial and operating systems literacy and preferred experience in Microsoft Office and ERP accounting software applications (ACCPAC/SAGE)
- Solid understanding of financial impacts of business decisions with a proven track record to provide effective guidance, analysis, and recommendations on a broad range of business, financial, strategic, and operational issues
- Proven leadership skills with a talent for team building
- Excellent organizational, planning and communication skills with an ability to influence and manage change as well as fostering and building business partner relationship with the rest of the organization
- Exceptional hands-on functional expertise, including technical accounting, financial reporting and tax knowledge with previous experience in managing the general ledger
- Solid record of delivering results within agreed upon timeframe
- Temporarily remote due to COVID-19. Occasionally visit office as needed.
Talize Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require any type of accommodation, please let the hiring manager know, and we will work with you to meet your needs.